Work Journal | Final Updates

Hasn’t been as active on my journal for a while. Work begins to become more standardized and there are less things to write about that are particularly different.

There were several new printing techniques introduced.

-Marginless printing: We put a very high quality Japanese paper over another larger cheaper paper and feeded the large paper in. The image to print was slightly bigger than the small paper and we were therefore able to print with absolutely no margins.

-Large Size paper printing: Not particularly different from small paper except that we have to keep an eye on it and worry about gravity deforming the paper or causing friction. You do however have to make the distance from the printer further from the paper in the settings, since large sized paper is often much thicker and you don’t want the nozzles touching the paper.

In addition to these new printing methods, Paul recieved recyclable printer cartridges that we switched out. We filled in new ink for the cartridges, replaced the inks, and then made new sets of calibrated proofs for the new inks. Paul said that the new ink is supposed to be identical to the previous ink, but he wanted to be extra careful.

The prints that Paul and I printed are also now featured at an exhibition. I about the process of framing and helped framed, transport, and put up a lot of the pieces. You can find better information about the exhibition in Paul’s blog than what I can say about it.

On the programming side there were a lot of issues with Java / Web connections that have finally been solved. Apparently you have to sign a Java applet before it can connect to a database due to security issues. Ironically we decided the best way was not to have Java make a connection anyways and connect through making a connection via a web page. We also started replacing the formatting with the original formatting from the Django sketches that were made.

The main requirements for the website are mostly done and Paul believes that we should try to get in touch with Jon Cates again to decide when we can ship the website as a pilot site. This is both to progress the website and also attract potential funding from art grants or kick-starter.

Before we shift the pilot site there are still some major things left to do that I hope we’ll manage to finish soon:

High

-Allow edit to update database
-fix broken links to images

Medium

-Delete media from user page
-Homepage blog
-Encrypt Invitation code
-Clear HTML formating during edit
-Design point system
-Fix header and footer padding
-Add “your invitation was sent” message after sending invite, and “send another message”

contact form
notice button

Low
-noticed by (BF higher up artists, blink tag for Paul Jon)
-Statement and proposal fields for artists (bio 500 chars)
-allow snapshots for remix application
-make voronoi application
-show people you’ve invited

-Edit about in profile
-Delete uploaded Media
-Debug search (needs to be clicked twice right now)

Maybe
-video frames parser
-Css formatting

0 Responses to “Work Journal | Final Updates”


  • No Comments

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.